[Geany-Devel] RFC: Policy for Glade File Updates

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu Sep 19 17:00:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:38:58 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> P.S. Are we all still agreed to using old 3.8.1 version of Glade?

After 2.x, I'm using Glade only to generate object templates in a test
file, and edit the real glade files with Geany. It's much easier.

> Thoughts?

3.6.7 does not generate noise in the form of default properties and
attributes. It does reorder the size gropus, but Geany uses none. So,
this version can possibly be used to cleanup geany.glade. A diff -uw
is ~8k lines, 90% of which are removed default properties/attributes.

It's not good for visual editing, though, since sometimes the hbox and
vbox display is swapped, :) and "Add widget here" is disabled quite
often, for reasons unknown.

No 3.x version is any good IMHO, so we may just mark geany.glade with
the first version that supports all objects we are using, and _change
our policy_ to "edit with Geany". That's what we do anyway.

--
E-gards: Jimmy