[Geany-Devel] Let's move to C++98 - Re: Lets move to C99

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Sep 5 09:48:35 UTC 2013

On 13-09-05 02:26 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On 01/09/2013 02:36, Matthew Brush wrote:

>>> Idiomatic C++ takes a *lot* of learning and experience to get right for
>>> someone coming from C.
>>>

>> Do you think there's more C-only programmers out there contributing to
>> desktop application projects than C++ programmers? I honestly don't know
>> but my instinct says there isn't.
>
> If you mean open source projects, then yes. Somewhat difficult to
> measure, but some (possibly flawed) stats:
>
> Here C has at least twice the share of C++:
> http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/
>
> In terms of noise on the web, here C also has approaching twice that of
> C++:
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

It would be better (but even harder to measure) to compare desktop
applications, as I mentioned, like Geany since this is an area where C++
makes a lot of more sense compared to C, and there's a lot of excellent
C++ GUI toolkits like Qt, WxWidgets, FLTK, FOX, GTKmm, WTL, etc.
Compared to C, where GTK+ is about the only actually good toolkit I've
ever come across.

> Also even if there were more C++ programmers, it would still be much
> easier for a C++ programmer to write C than vice versa.

Yeah maybe, although if you learned C++ first, using C is fairly foreign
and weird I'm sure. Also all of the other languages that support
modern/more programming paradigms would probably make an easier
transition to C++ than C.