[Geany-Devel] Let's move to C++98 - Re: Lets move to C99

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Sep 1 04:17:11 UTC 2013

On 13-08-31 04:37 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 1 September 2013 00:05, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>wrote:
>
>> On 29/08/2013 06:47, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>>   On using gtkmm, personally I think it is *way* better than the C interface
>>> to GTK, but I don't know if it can be mixed with C GTK easily, and
>>> changing
>>> *everything at once* would be a big job.
>>>

>> I don't know either, but gtkmm is much better than GObject boilerplate.
>> Although I don't think we need custom objects that often.
>

> Funnily enough, since subclassing widgets is trivial with gtkmm, they start
> to be used more often in my experience :)

Yeah, there's lots of cases for Geany; geany::MainWindow,
geany::Toolbar, geany::PrefsDialog, geany::Scintilla, geany::StatusBar,
geany::SymbolsView, geany::EditorMenu, and even the existing GObject
subclasses, not to mention geany::Filetype or geany::Document and friends.

Anywhere you want to extend/customize the behaviour of another class or
widget or such.