[Geany-Devel] Let's move to C++98 - Re: Lets move to C99

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Sep 1 03:31:17 UTC 2013

On 13-08-31 07:05 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On 29/08/2013 06:47, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> [...]
>
>> Nick has offered that C++ "might" attract him to contribute more, I
>> "might"
>> have time at the end of my current contract, unless I get another
>> quickly,
>> I guess Colomban is out, Matthew? anybody else?
>
> I'm happy to manage/co-ordinate the transition to C++ (at a slowish
> pace), should we decide we want that.

IMO, step #1 is to create a separate branch for this topic. I'm sure
Colomban won't mind a separate branch if it's not affecting master and
it would provide a hacking playground for everyone interested. If it
proves fruitful, we could eventually look to merge/replace Geany code
from this branch, even if we have to maintain separate branches for some
time.

I think starting with a core plugin is a good idea. The "Class Builder"
plugin has lots of gnarly C string copying/formatting/etc, it might be a
good candidate for hackage, as per your suggestion.