[Geany-Devel] Ping on Bug #943 - windows build command

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Oct 17 00:23:20 UTC 2013

On 13-10-16 12:04 PM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Actually, I finished most of it, what remains is mainly blocking Geany
> while the new async tools execution is running.
>
> Sync spawning is not good, because I'm using the Geany message loop for
> async I/O (somewhat similar to g_main_context_add_poll), not real Win32
> events and threads as GLib does.
>
> Locking the file, as Matthew suggested, will not be sufficient: one can
> still close it, reload it, and of course change the selection
> (SCI docs assume close/reload are be blocked for background saving).

Yeah, in a program like Geany where it doesn't use Actions to make it
easy to control the multiple widgets that represent the same action,
it's certainly less trivial. That's why I said "Assuming re-writing more
of the code isn't actually a bad thing..." :) For example, if Geany was
made to use actions, you could disable closing and reloading as simple
as two calls like:

   gtk_action_set_sensitive(actionClose, false);
   gtk_action_set_sensitive(actionReload, false);

or some document-specific variation of that. In the case of my little
editor I was writing, I had the Qt actions and also the translucent
overlay (mentioned but not shown) which prevented the user from
interacting with the Scintilla view while locked.