[Geany-Devel] Drop GtkStock and use symbolic icons

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Oct 11 00:47:33 UTC 2013

On 13-10-10 05:19 PM, Yosef Or Boczko wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> On 13-10-10 04:24 PM, Yosef Or Boczko wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I think is good idea to make the UI more clean
>>> and modern.
>>>
>>> For this we need to port the images in the toolbar
>>> to symbol icons.
>>>
>>> Also, in GNOME 3.10 the Stock items is drop [1],
>>

>> SOOOOO stupid... as you can tell by my rants, and other peoples comments on
>> that thread :)
>
> Thanks, I stupid :-)
>

>>> and UI with Stock is look outdated.
>>>

>> How does it look outdated? It depends which icon theme you have. If you mean
>> showing icons in menus and on buttons, which personally I very much like,
>> there is (or was, if GNOME guys didn't drop it) a global preference to turn
>> this on/off for yourself.
>
> In GTK+ 2 was Stock item for icons in certain quality, and today, in 2013,
> have a SVG icons, is better.
> As I sad, also to the symbolic icons have a themes.

If I understand correctly, it should have been possible (if it's not
already) to implement scalable SVG icons, which have a number of
problems in practice (see below), without completely deprecating all
APIs related to "stock items".

Regarding scalable/SVG icons, I don't think it's considered good
practice to use them (at least in design community, AFAIK), because you
can't take an icon designed at say 128px and then just display it at
16px without it looking terrible. You at least need several versions for
the general sizes like small, medium and large, or whatever. See #3 on
this page for a better description of what I mean:

http://psd.tutsplus.com/articles/7-principles-of-effective-icon-design/