[Geany-Devel] Ping on Bug #943 - windows build command

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu Oct 10 16:02:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

I don't have today, so the results quickly. Short test proram, which
writes "The quick brown fox jumps over the stdout/err %d times\n",
plus a few characters in stdout to create "valid" gdb output.

Geany, with 10000 iterations: dies at stdout 140, stderr 128. I
cancelled it after 2 minutes, then after 30 minutes - same thing.
Disheartening.

With 100000 iterations (12.28MB of text):

[C:] emit >& __emit: 1 second +-0.5

[C:] emit [console output]: 2 minutes flat

Scope, with a source_check() modified to handle stdout and stderr
only (FiF/build do not write to process stdin): 14 seconds

Scope, without "\\n" in stdout (converted to \n when reading gdb
output), so the text is joined in GtkTextView-lines of few/several
KB (depending on when stderr breaks them): 2 minutes 45 seconds

--

So, it is not the async execution itself that's broken. GIOChannel
set_flags and/or add_watch are. Well, we already knew that GLib

BTW, I forced stdout and stderr to real non-blocking I/O, and the
result was quite strange: emit finishes for ~1 second, but Geany
does not receive anything.

--
E-gards: Jimmy