[Geany-Devel] Ping on Bug #943 - windows build command

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Oct 9 14:42:51 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 01:50, Matthew Brush wrote:
>> I can simply test FiF with regex = ".", which will generate a lot of
>> output quite fast. Without the SYNC_SPAWN patches, build.c and search.c
>> async executions are identical (except that build checks if the
>> returned pid after successful spawn async is > 0, but still sets the
>> channels if it's not - I wonder why).
>>

> Can you get grep to write a lot of stuff to both stdout and stderr in
> the same run though?

Exactly, the problem with g_spawn is not the 4kb problem, that is only
the custom spawning. The problem is capturing both stdout and stderr.

> What about wrapping grep in a shell script that
> uses `tee` (or equivalent) to dump the output to both streams?
>
>>> GTK+ 2.22 is over 3 years old by now, FWIW.
>>
>> I'm using 2.22 under win~1 too, and don't think it will have any
>> problems with async exec, but we'll see.
>>

> Yeah, just pointing it out because 3 years is a lot of code churn for a
> project like GTK+. There's been ~15.5 thousand commits[1] since the
> 2.22.0 tag :)

g_spawn isn't gtk. gspawn[,-win,-win-helper].c don't seem to have any
significant fixes. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look hopeful.