[Geany-Devel] [Geany-devel] Separating session file lists from config (again)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 18 10:03:24 UTC 2013

On 18 November 2013 20:49, Thomas Martitz <
thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

> Am 18.11.2013 10:22, schrieb Thomas Young:
>
>  How about $project.geany.d?
>>
>> ;)
>>
>> On 18/11/2013 10:12, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>>> 2. various names were suggested, but no clear winner emerged,
>>> suggestions included $project.geany, geany.$project and $project.conf.d.
>>>   Objections included $project.geany is the existing name and may be
>>> confused or overwritten by an old version of geany and $project.conf.d
>>> is ugly.  Making it a define was suggested, which is fine during
>>> development, but a permanent solution must be selected prior to merging
>>> the change.
>>>

> I thought we $project.geany as the new directory name was accepted.

I posted the summary because I was sure there were places where we were
agreeing on different things :)

My only problem with this name is, what will an old Geany do with it since
it matches the current naming convention?

> I guess we'll find an accceptable name until it's ready for merging. But I
> do think the string "geany" should be there to avoid potential clashes with
> other IDEs.

I totally agree with that, just not as the extension since thats the
existing convention.

> Also, remember that $project.geany can also be foobar.geany, it must not
> be called after the project.

I am not sure what you mean here, yes it can actually be any name, .geany
extension is only a convention, but why can't it be named after the project?

> And it must not be within the project's root directory (see Matthew's case
> for ~/.Projects/*.geany). This should be maintained.

Why can't it be in the projects root directory?  Currently it can be
anywhere, in ~/projects, in ~/.Projects, in the root of the tree, why does
that need to change just because the config becomes a directory not a file?