[Geany-Devel] [Geany-devel] Separating session file lists from config (again)

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Mon Nov 18 10:35:59 UTC 2013

Am 18.11.2013 11:03, schrieb Lex Trotman:

> On 18 November 2013 20:49, Thomas Martitz
> <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de
> <mailto:thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de>> wrote:
>
>     Am 18.11.2013 10:22, schrieb Thomas Young:
>
>         How about $project.geany.d?
>
>         ;)
>
>         On 18/11/2013 10:12, Lex Trotman wrote:
>
>             2. various names were suggested, but no clear winner emerged,
>             suggestions included $project.geany, geany.$project and
>             $project.conf.d.
>               Objections included $project.geany is the existing name
>             and may be
>             confused or overwritten by an old version of geany and
>             $project.conf.d
>             is ugly.  Making it a define was suggested, which is fine
>             during
>             development, but a permanent solution must be selected
>             prior to merging
>             the change.
>

>     I thought we $project.geany as the new directory name was accepted.
>

> I posted the summary because I was sure there were places where we
> were agreeing on different things :)
>
> My only problem with this name is, what will an old Geany do with it
> since it matches the current naming convention?
>
>     I guess we'll find an accceptable name until it's ready for
>     merging. But I do think the string "geany" should be there to
>     avoid potential clashes with other IDEs.
>

> I totally agree with that, just not as the extension since thats the
> existing convention.
>
>     Also, remember that $project.geany can also be foobar.geany, it
>     must not be called after the project.
>

> I am not sure what you mean here, yes it can actually be any name,
> .geany extension is only a convention, but why can't it be named after
> the project?
>
>     And it must not be within the project's root directory (see
>     Matthew's case for ~/.Projects/*.geany). This should be maintained.
>

> Why can't it be in the projects root directory?  Currently it can be
> anywhere, in ~/projects, in ~/.Projects, in the root of the tree, why
> does that need to change just because the config becomes a directory
> not a file?

I meant to say that we should keep the ability to use non-project
related names for the directory and to place it outside the project's
root directory, in the same way that's possible with the current geany.
Yes, it can be called after the project and it can be within the directory.

Sorry, I misused "must not", not a native speaker. Should have been
"does not have to be".

Best regards.