[Geany-Devel] Focus lost when last document closed

Pallai Roland pallair at xxxxx
Tue May 28 22:04:31 UTC 2013

2013/5/28 Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com>:
> Long story short, why don't you write a plugin that connects to
> "document-close", and focuses your favorite widget when the last
> document is closed? That'll certainly be easier and faster than
> adding a function to the plugin API and convincing all plugin
> developers to call it, for a reason which may not sound entirely
> convincing to them.
>
> Being a plugin, you can extend it as you see fit - for example
> by keeping history of the focused widgets and going back to the
> last one that still exists, going back on each document close etc.

I considered this but I have to connect to focus-event signals of
plugin's widgets if I want to return to the most recent widget that is
not possible or introduces dependencies between plugins and so leads
to hell. Return to a fixed "favourite" widget is not enough as I wrote
earlier.

> Finally, a plugin that does something sensible, causes no crashes
> and avoids dirty hacks, may well be accepted in geany-plugins.
Unfortunately this plugin could not do any sensible without dirty hacks..

/* It's not about just me, I really believe it makes Geany a bit
better. I presented use cases where it has advantages, no known
drawbacks, code complexity is very low, using of this feature is
optional in plugins, no fully working workaround.
Don't get me wrong, but I don't understand this resistance: it changes
a behaviour that nobody cared about. I do not want to break or change
your workflow. If it helps only 1% of Geany users -as Colomban wrote-,
why not..? */