[Geany-Devel] Adding a plugin

Roger Booth rbooth at xxxxx
Sun Jun 9 09:35:30 UTC 2013

On 06/09/2013 01:46 AM, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 13-06-08 02:54 AM, Roger Booth wrote:
>> [...]
>
>> One thing I could ask for is a reference in the docs to where I can find
>> the correspondence between api and abi. Maybe thats the wrong question,
>> but anyway, how do i know which abi version I need? This is in regards
>> to PLUGIN_VERSION_CHECK(xxx)
>>

> As mentioned in other replies, there's the wiki page that maps API,
> ABI and other versions into a simple table.
>
> IMO, plugin authors shouldn't have to bother with ABI numbers at all
> and API numbers should be transparent. If I want to write a plugin, I
> would like to have some boilerplate like:
>
>     #include <geanyplugins.h>
>
>     GEANY_PLUGIN_REGISTER(1, 24, 0, /* min supported geany version */
>                           "Hello World",
>                           "0.01",
>                           "Another hello world",
>                           "You <you at yourdomain.org>");
>
>     void plugin_load(GeanyPlugin *plugin)
>     {
>         g_print("Loading plugin '%s'...\n",
>                 geany_plugin_get_name(plugin));
>     }
>
>     void plugin_unload(GeanyPlugin *plugin)
>     {
>         g_print("Unloading plugin '%s'...\n",
>                 geany_plugin_get_name(plugin));
>     }
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush

Thank you for this example. One question I have after looking at this
(and I mentioned this in my original post) is whether there is any
reason to grab the param that is passed to plugin_load. Does it not
point to the same as the global variable?

But back to the version number. I don't think I'm getting through to any
of you. You know where the answer is, and now I know where the numbers
are (I won't commit to knowing the answer yet). But that's not my point.

The web is a cool thing. Y'all'r reading a page and you have a question.
One click and you have the answer.

Its that one click I'm asking for. Put that one click where the question
is, so folks can read what the answer is.