[Geany-Devel] Adding a plugin

Roger Booth rbooth at xxxxx
Sat Jun 8 10:31:39 UTC 2013

On 06/08/2013 03:02 AM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 02:54:38 -0700
> Roger Booth <rbooth at kabooth.com> wrote:
>
>> One thing I could ask for is a reference in the docs to where I can
>> find the correspondence between api and abi. Maybe thats the wrong
>> question, but anyway, how do i know which abi version I need? This is
>> in regards to PLUGIN_VERSION_CHECK(xxx)
> A lot of functions have a note at Geany's API documentation, since
> which version of Geany they are avaialble. E.g. Since: 0.16 at
> utils_str_casecmp().
> At http://wiki.geany.org/plugins/development/api-versions you can find
> also the connection between API and ABI as well as the corresponding
> Geany version.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

I guess what I was asking for was a note in the docs that talk about
writing plugins, and especially in the docs about PLUGIN_VERSION_CHECK()
that points to where the programmer can read up on the connection
between api and abi. Or at least how the programmer can find out the
number.

Its great that you tell me here, and I know that somewhere in my mail
history I have the info as well, but wouldn't it be better to put the
info at the location where it helps the the programmer that is about to
add a PLUGIN_VERSION_CHECK() to a plugin? That was an issue for me, and
adding the references to the location where I was looking would have
helped me.

But beyond that, let me understand. What I do when writing a plugin is I
keep track of the least value of x.yy in "Since: x.yy" for every
function I use from the Geany API. Then I look at the URL you listed to
find x.yy and cross reference it to an abi number. And that abi number
is the number I plug in to the PLUGIN_VERSION_CHECK() macro. Is that how
this works? If that is so, again, maybe it would be nice to document the
manual procedure programmers should follow.

Your initial post in this thread asked

     Is there something that describes how to go about adding a plugin
to geany-plugins?

It sounded to me like you wanted to know about issues folks had writing
plugins. Well, I'm listing issues I have had writing Geany plugins.