[Geany-devel] Ship with Grep on Windows?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Sep 8 10:17:02 UTC 2012

On 03/09/12 23:23, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 12-09-03 01:59 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
>> On 12-09-03 12:57 AM, Matthew Brush wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It would be useful to ship the Grep binary[1] (and dependencies) with
>>> Geany for Windows. It could be added to the installer for not too much
>>> extra size[2] and would enable the "Find in Files" feature to work on
>>> Windows by default. Normally I wouldn't like to add more stuff to the
>>> installer but I think without it Geany is missing a very useful feature
>>> on Windows by default.
>>>
>>> Does it sound reasonable or no?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Matthew Brush
>>>
>>> [1] Probably this one? http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm
>>> [2] Based on above link maybe around 1-2 MB if its dependencies aren't
>>> already shipped with Geany (ex. libiconv, pcre, etc.).
>>
>> Just following up on myself. It seems Geany+GTK doesn't ship with iconv
>> or PCRE, so maybe GLIB uses Windows equivalent of iconv and PCRE is
>> compiled in statically? Just a guess.

Not sure about PCRE, but iconv should be included. I remember there was
some special build of iconv available from the GTK website where the
Windows builds are available. When I'm messing around with Geany on
Windows the next time, I'll have a look.

>> I compiled grep myself inside MSYS with this[1]:
>>
>> $ CFLAGS="-Os" LDFLAGS="-static" ./configure --enable-threads=windows
>> --disable-nls --disable-perl-regexp --disable-rpath
>>

> Somehow without --disable-perl-regexp it's only 1.15 MB and seems to
> still have no dependencies that'd need to be shipped with it.

And compressed in the installer is probably only 500 KB or so.
Matthew, send me the binary and it'll go in.