[Geany-devel] Squiggle pixmap

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Sep 5 06:02:03 UTC 2012

On 12-09-04 09:47 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Colomban has now kindly imported the latest Scintilla into HEAD.  It
> includes Matthews alternative squiggle indicator.  This improves the
> performance when a significant amount of squiggly underlining is
> present (think C++ compiles, when spell check doesn't like your words
> etc).
>
> I was going to make an option to select which indicator to use, but
> after some thought I believe its better to simply switch to always
> using the alternative because:
>
> 1. at least on Linux it looks as good as the original, this needs to
> be checked on other platforms

It should be fine since it's using Cairo on all platforms anyway.

> 2. reduces the incidence of performance complaints due to this
> problem, so we don't have grumpy users in the first place, and don't
> have to guide them through editing the setting where ever it is
> located (filetypes.common probably with all the marker settings)
>
> Note that as this should not be a commonly used setting, there is no
> need for a GUI setting, or if it turns out to be common, that just
> supports my argument to use it all the time.

I agree it's not worthwhile to make it a setting. The only difference as
far as users is concerned is that it's just faster now.

> If no one has any substantive issues in the meantime I'll commit the
> attached patch in a couple of weeks.

+1

Only thing I'd change is to add a comment explaining why it was switched
from INDIC_SQUIGGLE to the faster one.