[Geany-devel] Separating session file lists from config (again)

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Oct 1 21:15:32 UTC 2012

On 12-10-01 07:43 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 10/09/2012 06:36, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Its about that time of year when we have our annual discussion on
>> separating session data from config/project data :)
>>
>> By session data I mean the list of currently open files and MRU list.
>>
>> The advantages (that I can see):
>>
>> 1. Save config/project as its changed and not rushed at quit time (and
>> the quit save doesn't happen in the absence of a working, portable,
>> session management capability)
>
> TBH until proper multi-instance configuration sharing, I don't see
> what's so great with "not rushing at quit time" since we already also
> save one pref/project-prefs apply.

Open your favourite project in Geany and open a specific set of files
you need to work on a task, get the order of the files just right,
adjust the Geany window position and size and then get your find dialogs
positioned just perfect on your second screen. Now unplug your computer.
You will see :)

For me it takes more time to get Geany back in order (finding project
file since it's not saved in the recent project list[1], finding open
files related to current task, since they aren't saved in recent files
list[2], etc.) than it does to restart the whole computer.

P.S. My workaround (because my computer crashes a lot due to Flash) is
to get everything set up how I want for the current task, and then to
close Geany normally to force saving of all settings and then to reopen
it :)

[1] Well for favourite projects it might be saved, but not if it's a new
project that hasn't experienced a closing before.

[2] Unless you count the lame GTK+ open dialog recent files list which
is quite useless.