[Geany-devel] Separating session file lists from config (again)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Oct 1 22:05:11 UTC 2012

Le 01/10/2012 23:15, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> On 12-10-01 07:43 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
>> Le 10/09/2012 06:36, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Its about that time of year when we have our annual discussion on
>>> separating session data from config/project data :)
>>>
>>> By session data I mean the list of currently open files and MRU list.
>>>
>>> The advantages (that I can see):
>>>
>>> 1. Save config/project as its changed and not rushed at quit time (and
>>> the quit save doesn't happen in the absence of a working, portable,
>>> session management capability)
>>
>> TBH until proper multi-instance configuration sharing, I don't see
>> what's so great with "not rushing at quit time" since we already also
>> save one pref/project-prefs apply.
>>

> Open your favourite project in Geany and open a specific set of files
> you need to work on a task, get the order of the files just right,
> adjust the Geany window position and size and then get your find dialogs
> positioned just perfect on your second screen. Now unplug your computer.
> You will see :)
>
> For me it takes more time to get Geany back in order (finding project
> file since it's not saved in the recent project list[1], finding open
> files related to current task, since they aren't saved in recent files
> list[2], etc.) than it does to restart the whole computer.
>
> P.S. My workaround (because my computer crashes a lot due to Flash) is
> to get everything set up how I want for the current task, and then to
> close Geany normally to force saving of all settings and then to reopen
> it :)

As I read Lex's sentence, he spoke about settings, not open files.  And
anyway, I don't see what separating file list from the rest of the
config change in that matter.  It doesn't magically brings
immediate/periodical saving of the file list, and we can very well save
everything *including the file list* without that.  So I don't see why
it's an argument in favor (or against) $subject.