[Geany-Devel] I'm thinking I like Geany...

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de
Thu Nov 29 21:24:24 UTC 2012

Am 29.11.2012 17:19, schrieb Steven Blatnick:

>>> This of course used to be part of the open dialog until the brain dead
>>> at GTK removed it.
>> Did they?  I can still type and filter.  If I type in the entry I get a
>> completion list with the possible filenames, and if I typahead in the
>> list it still performs a (naive) search in that very list.
>>
>> However, a more advanced filtering might be interesting, like showing
>> only project patterns (if any are set -- but this one is easy with the
>> filter option of the file chooser), with more powerful matching
>> algorithm like (not necessarily the filename start, plus wildcards, why
>> not with "magic" matching like "p/fbc" matching "plugins/filebrowser.c",
>> this kinda stuff), etc.
> The plugin I use in gedit searches sub-directories independent of path
> and case insensitive that filters as I type like google suggestions.
> I also edited the plugin to skip .git/.svn directories.  I think a
> plugin like this should behave like ack-grep (and maybe even be
> configured throuch the .ackrc) to be fast and only search certain
> files.  It should allow a base directory to search off of for the code
> base (probably the project base directory).

Both the project and codenav plugin have a similar feature: toggle
between header (.h) and source (.c/.cpp). They search directories to
find the file if it's not open already (project starts search in the
project base, codenav in the current folder). Plus, actually codenav
wanted to implement your very feature request, but it was never completed.

Anyway, you might start by modifying either plugin, you'd probably only
need to implement the snap dialog to specify the filename. The
search-for-file algorithm is in place.

I would love this feature, btw :)

Best regards.