[Geany-devel] draggable tabs - current state?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Jul 14 11:48:11 UTC 2012

On 12-07-14 03:59 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 14.07.2012 12:39, schrieb Lex Trotman:
>> On 14 July 2012 20:21, Thomas Martitz
>> <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

>>> Can I at least have multiple sidebars with tabs being draggable
>>> between them
>>> (or make the message window a sidebar) ? :)
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> Well, tabs are part of the GTK notebook that the edit window is in, so
>> to put them in a sidebar you would be re-implementing part of GTK,
>> maybe instead look at making the document sidebar re-orderable instead
>> of sorted?

GTK+ allows any tab to be dragged to any notebook as long as they have
the same group id/name[1]. The only real limitation is the assumption
Geany currently may make about certain tabs being in certain notebooks.

> I didn't mean document tabs. I meant the symbols, files, etc tabs in the
> side bar which should be draggable to a second sidebar on the right
> (basically split the current sidebar into two with the editor in the
> middle).

+1.

Like this: http://tinypic.com/r/dnoto8/6

Where you can choose between any of the layouts (with or without
"splitview" enabled) and drag tabs between any same colourednotebooks.
All notebooks can be hidden except for one of the blue document
notebooks (the main document notebook).

[1]
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/2.24/GtkNotebook.html#gtk-notebook-set-group-name