[Geany-devel] Usability fix - saving tab state

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Jul 10 18:20:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:41:46 +0300
Axel <apeka1990 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe there is a usability flaw in Geany - opened documents' list is
> saved only if you exit the editor in 'traditional' way (by clicking exit
> button or so). It's completely lost, if the process's killed. This was
> irritating for me, as I tend not to close every program when shutting down,
> but rather push the 'shutdown' button and get them all killed - and get the
> list of opened documents lost.

There is a X11 session management patch on Geany sourceforge patch
tracker. Applies against 1.22, but not the newest svn. Not guaranteed
to work under GNOME, they always have problems with session support.
Won't ask you to save any modified files under Xfce, xfsm is buggy too.

> Anyway, this wasn't hard to fix - just calling *configuration_save()* upon
> opening or closing a file.

You can have any number of primary and secondary Geany instances open.
With simply calling configuration save, on restart you'll get *some*
file list... If that list is from a secondary (-i) instance, it'll
likely only contain a file or two, and you would be better with the
list from the last normal Quit.

(not 'you' personally, I mean any user)

> Operation itself seems to be cheap (although it's rewriting a config
> completely, as I see) - noticed no performance issues on my 1 GB RAM
> netbook.

It's cheap if your config directory (a) is local and (b) resides on a
hard drive or SSD. That's OK for the majority of users, but not all.

(N.B. I'm not a leading developer, so the decision will not be mine.)

--
E-gards: Jimmy