[Geany-devel] Request: multithreaded tag generation?

Harold Aling geany at xxxxx
Tue Jan 24 10:56:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:42, Jon Senior <jon at restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:35:40 +0100
> Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:
>
>> Just had a little time to check loading times with GeanyPRJ versus
>> GProject.
>>
>> Starting Geany with 1 file open in a Drupal project with GProject
>> enabled: 4 minutes and 1 second.
>> Starting Geany with the same file with GeanyPRJ enabled: 23 seconds.
>>
>> Quitting Geany with an open Drupal project with GProject enabled:
>> about 4 minutes.
>> Quitting Geany with the same Drupal project with GeanyPRJ enabled:
>> almost instant.
>>
>> The second time I opened the project with GProject, it only took 3
>> minutes, so it has some caching benefits.
>>

>> I'm reverting to GeanyPRJ! Too bad it causes a lag while typing, but
>> that's way better than having to wait 4 minutes to start or quit
>> Geany...
>
> Am I really that weird? Granted I'm using geanie's built-in project
> support (More like managed sessions), but I see a worst case for my use
> of about 45 seconds to load a series of files.

I've set GProject to index all files in the project to be able to use
''Go to tag definition" so it's the time to reindex all files and
tags, not just opening them...

> But the thing is, my current "session" of geany has been open now for
> about 4 days. 4 minutes in that time frame is a drop in the ocean. How
> often do you open + close geany for a 4 minute start up to be more
> annoying than a continuous lag when typing?

Well, I work on 1 to 4 Drupal projects per week and sometimes I have
to bughunt on even more projects. Every switch will take 4 to 8
minutes, which is "not very relaxing", especially if a collegue is
standing here at my desk...

I also like to shutdown my machine in the weekends to prevent me from
logging in from home ;)

-H-