[Geany-devel] GIT commit mails format

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Jan 14 12:20:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 19:20:57 +0100, Colomban wrote:

>> So I take this as a 'yes, turn it into something more similar to the
>> old SVN commit mails with diff, size-limited and a link to the web
>> repo'.
>> Will do this soon and announce it before and after.
>
>Just wanted to say: looking forward to it :)

Sorry for the big delay but finally good news: see attachment.

Last week I worked on the topic and failed to get any post-* commit
hook ro be executed in the mirror repositories. I guess the hooks
aren't run when the repo is updated using 'git remote update'. But I
found another solution which I actually like better as we do not need
to rely on the mirror repos to get commit mails from the main repo:

We already have setup the post-receive commit hook in Github which
updates the mirror repos. When this script gets called we already get a
list of commits the corresponding push contained.
And then I wrote a script which takes a commit hash and then asks the
Github API for more details about this commit. The script then
generates a commit mail like the one in the attachment. Basically the
mail is formatted like the old SF SVN commit mails but it's just a
template.

What do you think?

If we agree to change the commit mails to this format, I'd deploy the
script soon.

And in a further step, I'd like to conserve the post-receive commit
script and the new script to generate the mail in a GIT repo so it's
more obvious what happens and why. Any objections on creating a
repository like geany/infrastructure or something like this?