[Geany-devel] Empty project properties dialog

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Jan 13 16:12:23 UTC 2012

On 01/13/2012 03:31 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> [...]
>> What if we deprecate the old project create/confirm API altogether, add the
>> project preferences dialog to GeanyMainWidgets structure, and just let
>> plugins use the "response", "hide" and "show" signals on it as a normal
>> GtkDialog?
>
> Sounds fine to my limited understanding.
>

>> This wasn't possible before when the dialog was created/destroyed each time
>> since the pointer in the main_widgets global would change all the time, but
>> now it'll stay the same right from before `geany-startup-complete` all the
>> way until after plugins are unloaded . We could even say with certainty that
>> this API *won't ever* change, the project dialog in main_widgets would
>> *always* be a (subclass of) GtkDialog and so would only break if GTK+ broke
>> this.
>
> But how much of the internal structure of the dialog are you going to document?
>
> Is Jiri expected to find the notebook widget within the dialog or will
> it be passed some other way? If from the dialog it needs to be
> documented (or at least its name does).

Yeah, I thought about this after I sent the last message. We would need
to add the dialog *and* the dialog's notebook to the main_widgets
struct, like we do with the other notebooks (doc, sidebar, msgwin).
Otherwise we'd have to guarantee a name so it could be accessed through
ui_lookup_widget() or do the "signals on the wrong object" thing like is
done for most signals (with the renames Jiri proposed).