[Geany-devel] Q: how to switch to new Git repo?

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Fri Jan 6 16:10:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:55:06 +0100
Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

> Am 06.01.2012 16:52, schrieb Eugene Arshinov:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.  If I can't preserve merges anyway, I'm going
> > to transfer the sm branch right from my existing local Git
> > repository. That is,
> >
> > 1. I will fork the main repository and clone it
> > 2. add existing local repository as a remote
> > 3. rebase the sm branch from the remote onto the corresponding
> > commit cloned from the fork.
> >
> > I guess, this should work.
> >

> I dont think you can add the local repository as a remote (I am
> assuming that local repo is a git-svn repo from before the
> conversion) as the history is different. The history needs to be the
> same so git can reasonable tell which commits need to be rebased.

I'll try.  I'm going to use `git rebase --onto ...` which (iiuc) does
not require common history between the rebased commits.  And, local
repository as a remote should work well: some time ago I even managed
to use a local repository as a Git submodule (for experiment only :)

> Are you saying that the sm branch in [1] is out of date and you would
> rather use what you have locally?

The sm branch in [1] is correct.  I just don't want to clone it, as I
already have the same state locally, to save bandwidth (which currently
costs me some $).