[Geany-devel] Q: how to switch to new Git repo?

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Fri Jan 6 15:55:06 UTC 2012

Am 06.01.2012 16:52, schrieb Eugene Arshinov:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  If I can't preserve merges anyway, I'm going to
> transfer the sm branch right from my existing local Git repository.
> That is,
>
> 1. I will fork the main repository and clone it
> 2. add existing local repository as a remote
> 3. rebase the sm branch from the remote onto the corresponding commit
>     cloned from the fork.
>
> I guess, this should work.

I dont think you can add the local repository as a remote (I am assuming
that local repo is a git-svn repo from before the conversion) as the
history is different. The history needs to be the same so git can
reasonable tell which commits need to be rebased.

Are you saying that the sm branch in [1] is out of date and you would
rather use what you have locally?

Best regards

[1]: https://github.com/techee/sm-branch/