[Geany-devel] Request: multithreaded tag generation?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Jan 3 12:44:58 UTC 2012

On 01/03/2012 03:36 AM, Harold Aling wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 12:10, Lex Trotman<elextr at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Harold Aling<geany at sait.nl>  wrote:
>>> Best whishes for all!!!

>>> To start 2012 I decided to update my Geany and Geany-plugins installs
>>> to the latest dev, which caused my colorscheme[1] to display
>>> distorted. (white background except for the active line)
>>
>> Hi Harold,
>>
>> The latest development version of Geany has some changes in the way
>> colour schemes work which means that some older themes may no longer
>> work as they had.  Unfortunately sometimes backward incompatible
>> changes have to be made to continue moving forward.
>
> I understand the reason, but what I don't understand is how to "port"
> my old theme settings to the new system.

I already ported all of the existing old-style color schemes to work
with the new filedefs, see the geany-themes[1] project on Github to get
them. Some might need a little tweaking, but should for the most part be
quite similar to the original ones.

If you have other customizations in your old filedefs, you can copy them
from the old file manually (there's not that many). What's more you'll
benefit from the new features/fixes/keyword updates/etc introduced since
you grabbed a version frozen in 2010.

This is actually one of the huge advantages of using color schemes; you
don't have to replace all your filedefs to change styles any more (nor
do you any longer need to change *every* filedef file to change themes
or a color even). For the most part, you shouldn't even need to touch
the filedefs with regards to color schemes, only the color scheme .conf
files.

> Copying filetypes.php to ~/.config/geany/filedefs and editing
> [styling] does not work and I can't seem to find any documentation on
> how to fix this. 'geany-dark-scheme' seems to be abandoned as the last
> release was in March 2010...

It is explained in the manual, though I'm sure it could be improved. If
you open a colorscheme, open a filedef/filetypes.* file, and open the
manual, you should be able to figure it out fairly quickly, it's just
INI files after all.

> Any pointers on how I can re-enable my scheme for .php files?

See above.

>>> Restarting Geany takes more than 8 minutes so troubleshooting with my
>>> current configuration is quite the pain in the behind.
>>>

>> You can use the -c option to create a new configuration directory and
>> debug your colour schemes there.  That way you can have no files and
>> no tags during fixing but not lose your setup.
>
> I already disabled project support, so I can restart Geany without
> having to fetch coffee for all my collegues ;)
>
> I'm a big advocate on using Geany as editor here at work, but even
> Eclipse is faster and less resource-happy with tag generation. 4
> minutes to open or close an application is not really acceptable for
> many users, including myself.

That's not really Geany causing it to take that long, to be fair.

[1] https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes