[Geany-Devel] New Plugin: geanydiff

Marcelo Galvão Póvoa marspeoplester at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:21:18 UTC 2012

Hi Dimitar,

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Dimitar Zhekov
<dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:36:51 -0200
> Marcelo Galvão Póvoa <marspeoplester at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>
> Hi, Marcelo.
>
>> I've been developing a plugin [1] which I find useful (it is also
>> featured in the wishlist page) and I hope to see it in the
>> geany-plugins project.
>>
>> Here are some questions:
>> 1. How do I determine which version to put in PLUGIN_VERSION_CHECK?
>
> Use GEANY_API_VERSION from plugindata.h of the minimum Geany version
> that you know is sufficient to run your plugin. The current svn is
> 217, the latest stable 1.22 is 215, and it'll be nice if you can check
> for compatibility with 0.21, since some Linux distributibutions are not
> updated very often.

Ok, it works with 0.21 so I will keep at this version (211).

>> 3. This feature requires me to create a temporary file each time. I
>> don't remove them because the external diff tool may be using them. Is
>> this a problem?
>
> Generally, no. Under win~1, the TEMP directory is always full of crap
> anyway, and the *nix systems delete everything from /tmp on startup.
>
> (BTW, under *nix you can remove a file while it's open; the kernel
> will remove it after all programs close it.)
>
>> 4. Keybinding suggestions? The document selection menu is not keyboard friendly.
>
> Do not set default keybindings, let the user choose them.

I meant providing useful shortcut actions for the user to customize
them, of course. It is not simple to invoke a diff using a shortcut
because you have to choose the "compare to" document from a list.

>> I would appreciate some feedback to improve the plugin functionality
>> and interface. Let me hear what you think of it.
>
> I don't think you'll get any feedback at the end of December...

No problem, I can wait. :)