[Geany-Devel] New Plugin: geanydiff

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 19:19:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:36:51 -0200
Marcelo Galvão Póvoa <marspeoplester at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi, Marcelo.

> I've been developing a plugin [1] which I find useful (it is also
> featured in the wishlist page) and I hope to see it in the
> geany-plugins project.
>
> Here are some questions:
> 1. How do I determine which version to put in PLUGIN_VERSION_CHECK?

Use GEANY_API_VERSION from plugindata.h of the minimum Geany version
that you know is sufficient to run your plugin. The current svn is
217, the latest stable 1.22 is 215, and it'll be nice if you can check
for compatibility with 0.21, since some Linux distributibutions are not
updated very often.

> 3. This feature requires me to create a temporary file each time. I
> don't remove them because the external diff tool may be using them. Is
> this a problem?

Generally, no. Under win~1, the TEMP directory is always full of crap
anyway, and the *nix systems delete everything from /tmp on startup.

(BTW, under *nix you can remove a file while it's open; the kernel
will remove it after all programs close it.)

> 4. Keybinding suggestions? The document selection menu is not keyboard friendly.

Do not set default keybindings, let the user choose them.

> I would appreciate some feedback to improve the plugin functionality
> and interface. Let me hear what you think of it.

I don't think you'll get any feedback at the end of December...

--
E-gards: Jimmy