[Geany-devel] New Feature(plugin OR geany self)

Jon Senior jon at xxxxx
Thu Sep 29 08:02:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 09:57:35 +0200
Jacques du Rand <jacquesdr at gmail.com> wrote:

> True true :P Was hoping to keep it as a surprise :D
> Okey here  it goes: (Keep in mind English is not my first language and
> I might  not paint the perfect mental picture) :P
>
> Feature Name:Heated Tabs
> Problem: By 2pm everyday I have about 10-25 different files open in my
> "Sidebar::open_files"
> I'm constantly jumping around between these files depending on what
> problem/section/module/type-of-work I'm CURRENTLY busy with.
> So i spend a fair amount of time 'searching' for the file i need o
> work with BUT at any snapshot of time I'm only REALLY accessing 2-4
> files  at most ( i.e some header files,1 bash script 1 c file etc).
> Most of the time its  one of the  last 3-6 files i accessed.
>

> Solution:Heated Tabs:
> In the treeview open document list we have [ ICON, FILENAME
> ,(HEAT_ICON || NO_ICON) ]
>  So every time a document is activated we inc the
> ((GeanyDocument)doc->heat_count) and we then run through all open
> documents and make add a "red/hot/fire" icon similiar to the
> document-icon (maybe wider/longer) to the top 1-2 files.  and a
> Orange/medium-heat icon to the 3rd-4th most used document
>
> BottomLIne:
> Almost like a MRU(Most Recently Use) Cache for the Open Document list
> a which highlight/icon'ify the top 3-6  Documents in order ?
>
> Your thoughts ?

I want it! I need it!

I have exactly that problem at the moment, and just having something
that highlights the files in some way would be superb. Something to
make them stand out in the list.

Jon