[Geany-devel] New Feature(plugin OR geany self)

Jacques du Rand jacquesdr at xxxxx
Thu Sep 29 07:57:35 UTC 2011

True true :P Was hoping to keep it as a surprise :D
Okey here  it goes: (Keep in mind English is not my first language and
I might  not paint the perfect mental picture) :P

Feature Name:Heated Tabs
Problem: By 2pm everyday I have about 10-25 different files open in my
"Sidebar::open_files"
I'm constantly jumping around between these files depending on what
problem/section/module/type-of-work I'm CURRENTLY busy with.
So i spend a fair amount of time 'searching' for the file i need o work with
BUT at any snapshot of time I'm only REALLY accessing 2-4 files  at
most ( i.e some header files,1 bash script 1 c file etc).
Most of the time its  one of the  last 3-6 files i accessed.

Solution:Heated Tabs:
In the treeview open document list we have [ ICON, FILENAME
,(HEAT_ICON || NO_ICON) ]
 So every time a document is activated we inc the
((GeanyDocument)doc->heat_count) and we then run through all open
documents and make add a "red/hot/fire" icon similiar to the
document-icon (maybe wider/longer) to the top 1-2 files.  and a
Orange/medium-heat icon to the 3rd-4th most used document

BottomLIne:
Almost like a MRU(Most Recently Use) Cache for the Open Document list
a which highlight/icon'ify the top 3-6  Documents in order ?

Your thoughts ?

Best Regards
jacques