[Geany-devel] editing big files can be too slow with tag reparsing

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Sep 27 01:22:00 UTC 2011

[...]
> There is no prefs, but if autocompletion_update_freq is changed to or
> from 0 (e.g. disabled or enabled), then we need to update the setting
> for all documents where the user haven't done a choice.  Otherwise the
> setting would only change for newly opened documents, which is no good IMHO.

Oops forgot about the global setting.  But it shouldn't override a per
document setting chosen by the user.  I think your below ensures it
doesn't?

> BTW, I just see I actually add a user_choice flag in 0002, so the info
> is here:
>
> foreach_document(i)
> {
>        if (! documents[i]->priv->tag_list_update.user_choice)
>                documents[i]->priv->tag_list_update.user_choice =
>                        editor_prefs.autocompletion_update_freq > 0;
> }
>

>>> 0002-Tell-the-user-if-real-time-reparsing-is-slow-and-let.patch:
>>> This one adds the check for the updating duration and asks the user.  It
>>> is WIP, and I'm not really convinced by the dialog, as you can read in a
>>> TODO.  Apart that, it seems to work pretty OK.
>>>

>> Havn't had time to look at this, but as I said its a last resort.

[...]
>> I'm not Nick, but I would suggest leaving it until after release,
>> thats not far away, and then as soon as it is committed Nick will have
>> built a new version :)
>
> Agreed, apart that if it is a real problem, Nick won't be the only one
> suffering of it.  But Matthew tried on a Windows XP and didn't see any
> issue, so it at least doesn't affect everybody... /me still wonders
> what's happening.

I suspect we would have heard if it was a common problem, thats why I
think its ok to wait till after release. (I'm trying to save you work
:)