[Geany-devel] Question about GTK+ version used

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Sep 26 10:33:32 UTC 2011

On 26 September 2011 18:21, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there some specific distro or platform that sets the oldest GTK+ version
> Geany needs to support?  I had a conversation with Enrico on IRC some time
> back and he explained that Geany supports older GTK+ versions so that
> "enterprise" and similar distros which have really old packages are able to
> still able to compile/run it.
>
> So I was just curious *specifically* what distro(s) and version(s) sets the
> oldest version of GTK+ that Geany should support?
>

> In case it's of any interest to anyone, I just did some searching around and
> here are some distro and GTK+ versions I could find:
>
> RHEL 5 - GTK+ 2.10
> RHEL 6 - GTK+ 2.18
> Fedora 8 - GTK+ 2.12
> Fedora 10 - GTK+ 2.14
> Fedora 11 - GTK+ 2.16
> Fedora 12 - GTK+ 2.18
> Fedora 13 - GTK+ 2.20
> Debian Lenny - GTK+ 2.12
> Debian Lenny (backports) - GTK+ 2.18 or GTK+ 2.20
> Debian Squeeze - GTK+ 2.20
> Ubuntu Hardy - 2.12
> Ubuntu Lucid - 2.20

Well, the question is when do we stop supporting an OS for new
versions of Geany.  Old versions can of course continue if someone
wants to backport bugfixes.

RHEL support is defined here
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

This appears to be the longest support period I could find.  They
support new versions for the first four years for paid support and I
don't see that it is reasonable to expect a community project to do
better.  That means that RHEL 5 runs out about now, so the allowed
version of GTK jumps to 2.18.

But...  Windows GTK has been seriously broken since 2.18, something
that is rumored to have been fixed at 2.24!!  So the last good windows
version was 2.16.  We would need to support that until a working 2.24
can be packaged with Geany.