[Geany-devel] editing big files can be too slow with tag reparsing

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Sat Sep 24 12:07:59 UTC 2011

Am 24.09.2011 13:32, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> Hi Colomban, Thomas,
>
> I disagree, it is a bad idea to turn off a setting that changes the
> behavior.  The user is likely to be confused by the unexpected change
> in behavior (new symbols no longer in autocompletes, new types not
> being highlighted etc).  Having it automagically turn off is bad.  At
> most, pop up a dialog suggesting turning it off and noting where, but
> only ever once per session.

I too think there should be a notification. But I think turning it of
per-file (without touching the actual setting) is also good and the user
will appreciate that.

Note that it would be turned off in the case symbol generation takes a
long time, so it wouldn't go unnoticed if it's deactivated.

> Colomban is right in trying to evaluate where Nicks problem is first,
> thats far more likely to be productive, this sort of thing is the last
> option not the first.

I agree.

Best regards.