[Geany-devel] editing big files can be too slow with tag reparsing

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Sep 24 11:32:44 UTC 2011

[...]
>> How about automagically disabling auto-reparsing per-file if it takes
>> too long (1s?) at runtime? Without needing to change the setting that is.
>
> I like the idea.

Hi Colomban, Thomas,

I disagree, it is a bad idea to turn off a setting that changes the
behavior.  The user is likely to be confused by the unexpected change
in behavior (new symbols no longer in autocompletes, new types not
being highlighted etc).  Having it automagically turn off is bad.  At
most, pop up a dialog suggesting turning it off and noting where, but
only ever once per session.

Although I have a great idea for an animated paper clip in the bottom
right corner that can suggest it every couple of seconds ... :)

Colomban is right in trying to evaluate where Nicks problem is first,
thats far more likely to be productive, this sort of thing is the last
option not the first.