[Geany-devel] various prefs warning & use_safe_file_saving

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Sep 16 11:00:03 UTC 2011

On 16 September 2011 20:42, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btopenworld.com> wrote:

>> gio_unsafe_save_backup,
>> use_safe_file_saving,
>> > I agree, I like Dimitar's feature. I don't want to
>> make it hard to use, just more obvious that the user should
>> be careful.
>>
>> OK, so do as you think it's the best -- unless it makes the
>> thing harder
>> to use for really interested users I'm fine with any type
>> of warning.
>
> Actually I've changed my mind. First - we've got a string freeze planned for this weekend. Second - the problem seems to me more that use_safe_file_saving is misleadingly named. Even with an opt-in warning, users can still be misled.
>
> The other two 'dangerous' prefs at least have 'unsafe' in the name. An opt-in warning also adds more complexity to Geany.
>
> So I propose we go ahead with the string freeze (assuming there are no other issues) and instead rename use_safe_file_saving to something less misleading. We can provide compatibility with the old name if the new name key doesn't exist.

Renaming to include unsafe is a good idea, it is some warning on the
actual setting, but what exactly?

IIRC the setting actually provides a lower risk of data loss but a
higher risk of metadata loss, ie protections/execute etc.

safe_data_unsafe_metadata_save is really silly :)