[Geany-devel] various prefs warning & use_safe_file_saving

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Sep 16 10:42:15 UTC 2011

--- On Thu, 15/9/11, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> gio_unsafe_save_backup,
> use_safe_file_saving,
> >> and IMHO their
> > I agree, I like Dimitar's feature. I don't want to
> make it hard to use, just more obvious that the user should
> be careful.
>
> OK, so do as you think it's the best -- unless it makes the
> thing harder
> to use for really interested users I'm fine with any type
> of warning.

Actually I've changed my mind. First - we've got a string freeze planned for this weekend. Second - the problem seems to me more that use_safe_file_saving is misleadingly named. Even with an opt-in warning, users can still be misled.

The other two 'dangerous' prefs at least have 'unsafe' in the name. An opt-in warning also adds more complexity to Geany.

So I propose we go ahead with the string freeze (assuming there are no other issues) and instead rename use_safe_file_saving to something less misleading. We can provide compatibility with the old name if the new name key doesn't exist.

Nick