[Geany-devel] various prefs warning

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu Sep 15 17:11:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:30:44 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> > What are the problems with changing use_safe_file_saving? I don't see
> > how the previous value may affect anything.
>
> As you say yourself below, it's a "dangerous" setting because it changes
> the way the file saving works, and actually "breaks" links, permissions,
> etc.  So yes, this one is a sensitive setting.

Oh, sorry. At the time of the initial various prefs implementation,
there were doubts whether changing any of these settings while Geany is
running may break something, so that's the first thing which came to my
mind...

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:30:44 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> I'm puzzled between adding "annoyance" to the user and preventing her to
> touch sensitive settings without a good reason.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:45:55 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sadly I think warnings are useless, [...] This is a tool for programmers
> remember, ie us :-)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:48:31 +0100 (BST)
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> I don't want to make it hard to use, just more obvious that the user
> should be careful.

I don't think these settings will or should be changed often, so
making the access to them a bit harder shoudn't matter much. However,
once the user promises to be careful or whatever, let's give him/her the
full page, without horizontal space wasted by an expander, or vertical
by a label, or some other widget.

A two-page scheme will require a bit more work, of course, but I have
free time ATM. Nick, if you don't feel like writing it, drop me a
note and I'll give it a try.

--
E-gards: Jimmy