[Geany-devel] various prefs warning

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Wed Sep 14 18:04:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:47:41 +0100 (BST)
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> I think there should be a clear warning about changing the new
> various prefs - e.g. a user might enable use_safe_file_saving and
> then run into problems.

What are the problems with changing use_safe_file_saving? I don't see
how the previous value may affect anything.

Before writing the very first variant of various prefs, I checked all
settings for being safe to change, and published the results in the
mailing list. There were problems with allow_always_save, and I fixed
them with a separate patch.

> I'll try to add a warning label and perhaps put the treeview in an
> expander, collapsed by default. We want to make it obvious that
> changing those settings should only be done if you know what you're
> doing.

Or maybe start the page with a warning and an "I'll be careful, I
promise?" check button, which shows the list? :)

The dangerous settings are gio_unsafe_save_backup,
use_gio_unsafe_file_saving and use_safe_file_saving, and IMHO their
names are quite indicative. Everything else is harmless, except for
indent_hard_tab_width to some extent. I believe it shoudn't exist in
the first place.

--
E-gards: Jimmy