[Geany-devel] various prefs warning

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Sep 14 22:30:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

Le 14/09/2011 20:04, Dimitar Zhekov a écrit :
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:47:41 +0100 (BST)
> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there should be a clear warning about changing the new
>> various prefs - e.g. a user might enable use_safe_file_saving and
>> then run into problems.
>
> What are the problems with changing use_safe_file_saving? I don't see
> how the previous value may affect anything.

As you say yourself below, it's a "dangerous" setting because it changes
the way the file saving works, and actually "breaks" links, permissions,
etc.  So yes, this one is a sensitive setting.

>> I'll try to add a warning label and perhaps put the treeview in an
>> expander, collapsed by default. We want to make it obvious that
>> changing those settings should only be done if you know what you're
>> doing.
>
> Or maybe start the page with a warning and an "I'll be careful, I
> promise?" check button, which shows the list? :)
>
> The dangerous settings are gio_unsafe_save_backup,
> use_gio_unsafe_file_saving and use_safe_file_saving, and IMHO their
> names are quite indicative. Everything else is harmless

I'm puzzled between adding "annoyance" to the user and preventing her to
touch sensitive settings without a good reason.  Actually some
"harmless" settings as Dimitar called them may even be of some real
interest to some users (the reason why we have that Various tab, heh),
like allow_always_save, compiler_tab_autoscroll, etc.

So I agree that we should find a way to tell the user not to change
something without having checked the manual (or be prepared no to come
cry in our skirts), but I'm not sure we should really make it *hard* to
change something like compiler_tab_autoscroll.

So... puzzled :/

> except for indent_hard_tab_width to some extent. I believe it
> shoudn't exist in the first place.

Agreed.  Actually it's a vestige from the past, AFAIK just kept for a
better compatibility.  We even warn on the console/debug window it it
isn't set to 8.
We might want to remove it at some point, not sure when is the best time.

Regards,
Colomban