[Geany-devel] SF.net SVN: geany:[5909] trunk/src/utils.c

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Sep 12 09:09:46 UTC 2011

On 12 September 2011 18:16, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> Am 11.09.2011 23:53, schrieb Colomban Wendling:
>> Le 11/09/2011 23:32, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> What about adding chrome?
>>
>> Yeah, why not (though this list is a fallback one), it's very easy now :)
>>
>> We might then also want to add also Safari, Epihpany (GNOME) and Midori
>> (Xfce)... does anybody knows if "safari" runs Safari under MacOSX, or
>> what is the command name?
>
> I disagree to add all known browsers to this list as they might appear.
> Its still a fall back which means something didn't work before this list
> has been called.

The thing that didn't work is the tool setting which defaults to firefox.

If we have any fallback at all then we should hake a reasonable job of
it, eg IIUC iceweasel is the debian project default browser not
firefox and debian is the basis of many more distros.

Otherwise the whole fallback should be removed since it is confusing
and may not run the browser the user expected (depending on the order
in the list).  At least when there is only the tools pref you know
when its wrong, the browser won't go, with the fallback something
unexpected may happen.

Given the rate bugs get found in browsers I wouldn't want to
unexpectedly run an old un-updated browser, thats a real risk.