[Geany-devel] Geany Plugins SVN Commit URLs

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Oct 30 22:25:10 UTC 2011

On 11-10-30 03:03 PM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 02:15:33 -0700
> Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I haven't heard too much about the Git conversion of Geany Plugins,
>> but I wanted to offer a suggestion that might improve the commit
>> messages compared to Geany's.  In the Geany's Git repository there's
>> links back to the SVN repository in the commit messages (the links
>> are broken BTW). I was wondering if it would be better to have these
>> links point to a place we have more control over, for example using a
>> Geany commit, instead of this in the commit message:
>>
>> git-svn-id:
>> https://geany.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/geany/trunk@5970
>> ea778897-0a13-0410-b9d1-a72fbfd435f5
>>
>> We could have something like this:
>>
>> git-svn-id:
>> [ea778897-0a13-0410-b9d1-a72fbfd435f5]
>> (http://svn.geany.org/svnroot/geany/trunk?rev=5970)
>>
>> That way we could make the links work and be able to move the old SVN
>> repository without breaking all the links in the commit message. I
>> guess we'd need a little redirect script or something on geany.org.
>> Note also the use of Markdown link syntax, which might render better
>> on Github (not sure).
>
> I'm afraid I don't get what is needed here? Did I got you right to
> setup complete mirror of ancient svn on geany.org?

Or easier, just make some URL forwarders/rewrites on geany.org so we
don't have to depend on SourceForge.net to always store the SVN repo and
never change URLs.  The SVN URLs in the Git commit messages will never
be able to change ever in the future, so if we point it to a location we
control, then we can ensure they remain valid.

 From Jiri's other message though, it sounds like the SVN URLs in the
Git commit messages are all going to be broken like the one's in Geany's
Git repository, since it's not an option of the conversion script to
change them.  I don't feel like hacking the conversion script to change
the URL that goes in the commit message, and anyway, as long as it
contains the SVN revision, it's still useful.