[Geany-devel] Geany Plugins Warnings (again)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Oct 29 03:38:11 UTC 2011

Hi Matthew,

On 29 October 2011 10:02, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know Frank has asked a few times for people to clean up the build warnings
> for their plugins.  There's still *way* too many warnings.
>
> I quickly went through all the warnings and "fixed" them.  I just did the
> quick/obvious fixes and didn't test anything.  I can almost guarantee that
> at least a few of the "fixes" aren't correct and will cause problems with
> the plugins.
>
> Attached are all the patches that fix the warnings.  If the plugins
> developer(s) could each look at their respective patches and review them and
> either apply and thoroughly test their plugins or ignore them and otherwise
> fix the warnings, that would be great.

Well done, I tested all but GeanyGDB and found some extra warnings,
see [1] probably as my checking is stricter than yours. "-Wall -Wextra
-O2 -no-unused-parameter"

Plugin maintainers should look at these since they may indicate real
errors, eg "warning: comparison of unsigned expression >= 0 is always
true" and various uninitialised things.

Note that Geany itself has only one "well known" warning with these
settings, so they can't be said to be too strict.

All plugins loaded and ran the most basic things except:

- geanymacro which wouldn't accept any input in the keycode field and
without a keycode wouldn't do anything.

YMMV

Starting from a clean machine, I found many dependencies are
undocumented.  Many plugins required the dev package as well as the
specified package, ok its sort of obvious, but it would be nice to
mention as well.

Other than the dev packages, unexpected and undocumented dependencies
I found were:

debugger - vte-dev
geanypg - gpgme not just gpg
update checker - webkitdev

As I went through the website I noticed several plugins had errors in
the markup of their READMEs giving messy error messages in the web
page.

geanymacro
geanynumberedbookmarks

and geanylua, redirects to an external page, but the link is broken

[1] https://github.com/elextr/geany_stuff/raw/master/geany-plugins-warnings