[Geany-devel] Question about GTK+ version used

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Oct 5 23:19:47 UTC 2011

On 6 October 2011 09:58, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 05/10/2011 09:30, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> There is no problem (that I'm aware of) with any versions on Linux,
>> except of course new features were added over time.  Since everyone
>> wants to use the shiny new things, they want a newer version.
>>
>> Also as newer features replaced older ones, some of the tools (glade)
>> discontinued support for the older features making it hard to continue
>> to use older versions.
>
> True.  Glade 3.10 is a real $!#!@@$$## that don't even work for GTK2
> anymore :@

+1
</rant> :)

>> But on windows, as I understand it, GTK 2.16 is ok, but something(s)
>> that was changed in 2.18 and broke stuff on windows, I'm not sure
>> exactly what.
>
> Client-side windows.
>
>> There are not many contributors to GTK for windows so it took a long
>> time for the problems to be fixed (assuming they are) so it isn't
>> until about 2.24 that the general consensus on the gtk ML seemed to be
>> that it was ok.
>
> AFAIK yeah, with 2.24 GTK works all fine again on Windows.  This said, I
> found many app working just find with 2.22, and I think 2.18 too.
> Actually I'd better say that >= 2.16 && < 2.24 had *some* problems, not
> that they were completely broken.

Yes, thats probably a better way of putting it.

Whether the problems affect a particular program probably depends on
how aggressively it used GTK features.  And things like themes being
broken won't actually stop the app working.

Things like DND were still being fixed very recently IIUC, but for
example that wouldn't affect Geany, since its not DND enabled.