[Geany-devel] Proposal: Project settings split

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Nov 1 22:39:48 UTC 2011

On 2 November 2011 05:19, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:21:25 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1 November 2011 11:49, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> > On 11-10-31 04:50 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> >>
>> > Sessions should be user-transparent things like window geometry,
>> > number of instances opened, last project/files, etc. and maybe
>> > should be workspace/profile-specific.
>>
>> Yes, except for instances.  Geany itself shouldn't handle those,
>> thats the session manager's problem.
>
> The current sm1 will handle that, unless you decide to separate the
> default session from geany.conf (which makes some sense btw).

Wasn't thinking of changing that ATM.

>> But of course Gnome session manager is so broken that several current
>> distros removed the option to use it, so I'm not sure when SM might
>> work right.
>
> Without a manager it won't work => same as the current non-sm Geany.
>
> (OT: I wonder how many developers will stand a Gnome 3 or Unity
> interface, with the session support removed on top of that).

Who knows when it will be fixed, the G* folks think with their egos,
not their brains.

>> I will have some time next week, so this thread is to get ideas or
>> objections sorted before then.
>
> Applying #3312654 may help you a bit.

At first glance I'm not sure how, but will look closer.

>> To prevent the config dir getting too cluttered the session files can
>> be kept only as long as the project remains in the recent projects
>> list. (maybe needs a separate length setting, currently uses
>> file_prefs.mru_length)
>
> At which point will you delete the unneeded session files?..

When they fall off the recent projects list.

> From what I've seen, the IDEs indeed keep the settings and file list
> separate, but in the same directory. So if you delete the entire project
> directory, both go (if located there). And when you decide to delete a
> single project file, the session file is just next to it.

The point is to get the session file out of the project tree, so no
this defeats the purpose.