[Geany-devel] Proposal: Project settings split

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Nov 1 18:19:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:21:25 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 November 2011 11:49, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> > On 11-10-31 04:50 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> >>
> > Sessions should be user-transparent things like window geometry,
> > number of instances opened, last project/files, etc. and maybe
> > should be workspace/profile-specific.
>
> Yes, except for instances.  Geany itself shouldn't handle those,
> thats the session manager's problem.

The current sm1 will handle that, unless you decide to separate the
default session from geany.conf (which makes some sense btw).

> But of course Gnome session manager is so broken that several current
> distros removed the option to use it, so I'm not sure when SM might
> work right.

Without a manager it won't work => same as the current non-sm Geany.

(OT: I wonder how many developers will stand a Gnome 3 or Unity
interface, with the session support removed on top of that).

> I will have some time next week, so this thread is to get ideas or
> objections sorted before then.

Applying #3312654 may help you a bit.

> To prevent the config dir getting too cluttered the session files can
> be kept only as long as the project remains in the recent projects
> list. (maybe needs a separate length setting, currently uses
> file_prefs.mru_length)

At which point will you delete the unneeded session files?..

>From what I've seen, the IDEs indeed keep the settings and file list
separate, but in the same directory. So if you delete the entire project
directory, both go (if located there). And when you decide to delete a
single project file, the session file is just next to it.

--
E-gards: Jimmy