[Geany-devel] hex mode

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon May 9 23:52:18 UTC 2011

On 10 May 2011 00:33, Johann SAUNIER <jsaunier.devel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using Scite every day at work to open files containing NULL characters
> (that Geany can't open). Scite is based on Scintilla, and it doesn't stop at
> the first NULL character. I guess it should be possible to open binary files
> in Geany too ...

Depends on the interface between Scite and Scintilla, most of the
functions from Scintilla accept null terminated text so they stop.
There are a few that use lengths and will accept NUL characters.  It
would mean re-writing all the Geany interface to Scintilla to use only
those functions, but for little gain and much pain (probably a period
of many bugs).

In general reading binary files isn't a common part of development
workflow (or we would have lots of requests for it) so adding it to
Geany would not be a priority.