[Geany-devel] SVN Log Stats

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed May 4 00:39:22 UTC 2011

On 05/03/11 17:11, Lex Trotman wrote:
> 2011/5/4 Enrico Tröger<enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>> So, if anyone knows some cool SVN stats generator or Matthew wants to
>> pimp his Python script to produce some fancy HTML, I'd happy to replace
>> it :).
>
> I don't think these statistics are worth a pinch of ....

Agreed, well except they show how many commits/LOC each committer has,
which is why I whipped up a little Python script for this to begin with.

> What is the purpose?  If it is to identify contributors to the project
> then its totally distorted and shouldn't be used.

Agreed.  I just wanted to see how many commits were done by each
committer within specific time periods, nothing more.

> Contributors like Matthew, Jiri and many more don't get a mention.
> And all the translators who funnel through Frank are not mentioned in
> this list. At the very least it needs to grep the thanks from the
> changelog/commits.

Better yet, use a proper VCS that allows proper attribution :)

> Also counting the number of commits is a poor indicator of
> contribution, it says nothing about the scope of the changes.  And
> whats the point of counting, unless you are the sort of sad individual
> who needs the reassurance that their number (or car or house or ...)
> is bigger than someone else's.

LOC is a fair indicator of scope (unless it's all noisy commits).  For
me, the point was just to get an idea of the activity of committers, I
have no desire to go any further with this.  The reason I sent to the ML
message was just for anyone else interested since I wasn't aware of the
other sources of this information that Frank pointed out.

> The project needs to thank everyone who managed to make time to do
> things, no matter how large or small.

And use a better VCS where you don't need to have commit access to be
the --author of a patch/commit :)

Aside from that issue, at least the committers are very consistent in
putting a thanks in the commit message and names/email in the THANKS
file.  One improvement would be to do something like Scintilla does[1]
on their website, though it would be tedious to maintain unless it was
automated.

I honestly have no idea what the purpose of the "Regular Contributors"
section in the AUTHORS file is meant to serve.  If it's meant to be
committers who commit less often than "Developers", it's missing some
from what's in the SVN log.  If it's meant to be people who, regardless
of commit access, contribute regularly, it's still missing people.

[1] http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaHistory.html