[Geany-devel] SVN Log Stats

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed May 4 00:11:59 UTC 2011

2011/5/4 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Tue, 03 May 2011 11:19:22 +0200, Frank wrote:

>>> I knew it must be somewhere out there!  Thanks Frank.
>>
>>You are welcome.
>>
>>And of course cgit if offering some little stats too:
>>http://git.geany.org/geany/stats/
>
> Some time back in 2010 I played a bit with mpy-svn-stats and I set it
> up as cronjob even, the result is at:
> http://geany.org/svnstats/index.html
>
> Though I never really looked into it to get an idea of these stats are
> of any use and so I also never announced it.
> Since I upgraded the server to Debian Squeeze, the mpy-svn-stats
> package isn't available anymore. Not that it would hard to re-package
> it for Squeeze, I just don't feel like using such old and unmaintained
> software.
>
> So, if anyone knows some cool SVN stats generator or Matthew wants to
> pimp his Python script to produce some fancy HTML, I'd happy to replace
> it :).
>
> Regards,
> Enrico

I don't think these statistics are worth a pinch of ....

What is the purpose?  If it is to identify contributors to the project
then its totally distorted and shouldn't be used.

Contributors like Matthew, Jiri and many more don't get a mention.
And all the translators who funnel through Frank are not mentioned in
this list. At the very least it needs to grep the thanks from the
changelog/commits.

Also counting the number of commits is a poor indicator of
contribution, it says nothing about the scope of the changes.  And
whats the point of counting, unless you are the sort of sad individual
who needs the reassurance that their number (or car or house or ...)
is bigger than someone else's.

The project needs to thank everyone who managed to make time to do
things, no matter how large or small.