[Geany-devel] Git Switch (again)

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun May 1 22:18:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 23:46, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> Am 30.04.2011 11:48, schrieb Matthew Brush:
>>
>> I think the more important part is, are the core developers going to
>> accept pull/merge requests on github/gitorious, apply commits/patches from
>> there, etc.?  If it's only going to be another read-only git mirror, it's
>> kind of pointless.  I don't mean to say that it's a bad idea to have the
>> "official Geany source" available on various projects sites to fork/hack on
>> and stuff, just that it doesn't address the problem being discussed at all.
>
> I agree it's not as useful, but I disagree that it'd be pointless. We can
> still benefit from the "social coding" aspects of github, including but not
> limited to an overview over the forks, pull requests between forks. I would
> greatly love to see that, as I'm subscribed to a number forks by now :)

Yes, I would also prefer if there was a proper and complete git switch
(it would greatly save maintainer's work IMO) but I haven't seen much
enthusiasm from the core developers for the move so it's better if
people who use git have at least an up-to-date git mirror from which
they can create their private branches.

> BTW: is there some possibility to have an svn mirror of a git repo. Perhaps
> if you have admin access to the bare svn repo?

I guess you could git svn dcommit from the post-receive hook if you
have access to the git repository. But I guess it works for simple
commits only and not merges and so on.

(To your question regarding writing my name - I write it that way
myself too because I'm lazy to switch to Czech keyboard so I guess
it's OK ;-)

Jiri