[Geany-devel] Annoying autocompletions

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jun 6 02:51:28 UTC 2011

Hi All,

As I and others have said in other threads.

In languages like C or C++ lines mostly end in punctuation, so it is
unlikely that a line ends in a valid autocomplete, so pressing return
to end the line is safe.

In languages like Python lines rarely end in punctuation, so it is
likely that a line ends in a valid autocomplete, so pressing return is
not safe, you have to check that no autocomplete is present, dismiss
it if it is, then press return.  Or more likely press return
automatically and then go back and edit the inappropriate autocomplete
that was added.  All very annoying and inefficient.

The attached patch adds a hidden preference to cancel the autocomplete
when return is pressed, but before it is processed, removing the
problem.

PS I don't have the docutils on this machine, can someone please make
the geany.html.